Sunday, July 19, 2009

Manastash Ridge

Driving back from Yakima to Seattle over Chinook pass gave me an opportunity to ride Manastash Ridge. I had done a xc race there about...18 years ago... But there are a couple big rides you can do, this is the dry side of the Cascade Mountains, so when it's not buried by snow, it's luxurious flowy singletrack, and lots of it.

It is, in fact, a big ridge, 1.5 hours climbing minimum to the top. A big logging road with big trees and big views.


I had last ridden here about 5 years ago, and couldn't quite remember the way to the top of the ridge. So, rather than getting lost, after an hour of climbing I turned down a singletrack I knew would lead me to the camp site.


And it was, of course, absolutely fantastic. You could ride this trail every day and never get tired of it.


Never did quite make it to the top of the ridge...an extra 30-40 minutes of climbing would have given me a sweet open and rocky descent...


But the Ibis and I were content enough.


Big views like this throughout.


Every once and a while was something to keep you on your toes. Here, a steep and rocky trail carved out of the cliff...don't look down!


After about an hour on the trail, it came out to the bottom. This was where the XC race used to finish. Back then there was no bridge, only a creek crossing. In May it was up to your waist. Epic.

No comments: