Saturday, July 18, 2009

Yakima, Washington

Visiting Grandma Alvarez over the 4th of July weekend, a few years back she moved into a new house up on the hill just on the west side of town. For those who don't know, Yakima is smack in the middle of Washington state, just about and hour east of the mountain pass. Well grandma's new house is just about a kilometer or so from a trail center that is supposed to be the best riding in town. After a big grandma lunch, I put the bike together.....slowed down by said heavy lunch, 38 degree weather, and a mariners double header, I didn't finish the bike until about 7:30, giving me just over an hour of daylight left to ride.


And good riding it was. Tight tight singletrack winding through the sub-desert brush. Sections of lava rock to keep me on my toes. The trail would change every few meters to carpet-like trail, to loose and rocky, to volcanic rock garden. My recently assembled Ibis guided me flawlessly. That 160mm Lyrik fork is a bit much for flat or rolling singletrack, though. It really excels in big climbs with big descents, so you can optimize the two-step air 115mm climbing and 160mm settings...


4th of July and a full moon. As I rounded my loop and started back in the direction of the car, the moon was up and starting to provide more light than the sun.


A last view, a nice sunset from the mountains before heading down to the car. Perfect evening.

No comments: